The Behavioral Strategist, can provide or arrange workshops and inservices for teachers, parents, paraeducators, school staff, and other community partners on the following topic areas:
Educating Educators on Children’s Mental Health
- What is the curriculum for and how will it benefit educators? This curriculum will help educators obtain more information about children’s mental health issues. The information will help them identify and understand signs and symptoms of childhood disorders as well as learning a wide variety of techniques that have been helpful to children with disabilities in the past and present, (to include how to implement the wraparound philosophy). Many times teachers are working with children with disabilities and they don’t know it because of a lack of information and understanding, and/or not knowing how to treat these children behaviorally or the most appropriate techniques to use with them.
Role of Paraeducator and Confidentiality
- What is the definition of confidentiality? What student information is confidential? Who can confidential information be shared with?
Human Behavior and Child Development
- When working with children, it is extremely important to know what influences and affects normal, healthy development and growth, since there is no perfect parent, teacher, school environment, or community. We as educators need to keep in mind that all these things influence a child’s growth, development and behavior. This curriculum outlines the different models of human development and briefly concludes each theory's addition to the studying of human behavior. Different influences can affect a child’s behavior and these experiences can affect their growth and development. These influences include abuse and neglect of a child.
What Makes a Positive Learning Environment/Childhood Mental/Emotional/Behavior Disorders
- Learn about some of the most frequently diagnosed childhood disorders, their signs, and symptoms.
Managing Challenging Behaviors
- This workshop looks at the motivation for a child’s behavior and different techniques to use to manage those behaviors. A review of Functional Behavioral Assessments, using the A, B, C’s for behavior planning and implementing a good behavior plan.
Building Children‘s Self Esteem
- Take a look at and discuss how we as educators or adults affect children's self-esteem. Learn ways to improve children’s self-esteem. Includes video.
- Learn how to resolve conflicts with children and between children. Learn the motivation and dynamics of a conflict. What triggers a conflict? Learn the process of negotiation, mediation, and arbitration.
Dubuque Management System
- A behavioral management system which looks at teaching and reinforcing replacement behaviors and how to respond to challenging behaviors in a predictable, consistent, structured approach.
Non-Violent Crisis Prevention and Intervention- CPI
- A set of safe, non-harmful strategies to de-escalate, prevent, and respond to verbal and physical behaviors.
- A research-based, proven program which teaches social and emotional learning skills.